Sunday, August 16, 2015

A Short Request

Due to EU rules, apparently Blogger has automatically posted a warning saying that Google Analytics and whatnot is being used on blogspot.com blogs, visible by viewers that originate from the EU.

It also says that it's up to me to determine if that warning (or whatever it is) is visible, a snarky way of Google being able to claim plausible deniability if something goes wrong and someone decides to sue Google for something that I wrote (or, likely, some malware that snuck onto the blog).

Anyway, if someone who originates from the EU (you know who you are) can comment as to whether this sort of warning/announcement/whatever shows up, I'd appreciate it. I don't feel like trying to cause security alerts by attempting to IP spoof my laptop just to find out if the damn thing is there or not.

7 comments:

  1. It's not about Google Analytics, just about cookies (if it's the same thing I'm thinking of). I've been clicking the "this site is using cookies" notifications off Blogger blogs for days, so I can't say with 100% certainty that yours was among them, but I'm pretty sure that it was. I think you'd have to do something a lot more exciting with your blog's layout to cause it to not work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The alert specifically references Google Analytics with the cookies, so I figured the Analytics info was the culprit.

      If they're worried about cookies in general, I think the EU government has no idea what they're getting into.

      Delete
    2. I... have no strong opinion on the matter, but this is what it's about if you're curious.

      Delete
    3. It's one of those things that is great in theory, but in execution it can get messy.

      Honestly, this should have been thought of about a decade or two ago, before cookies became ubiquitous.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The message i get talks about google and analysing, i think that must be the one you are talking about. Its still about cookies, but it mentions that my visiting this site will be used by google for analysis.

    In short: Ithink you are in the clear :-)

    ReplyDelete